Monday, July 9, 2007

The Report !!

I've been keeping busy.

Friday - Saturday I saw four OFF plays: Cris du Choeur (musical), Les Fees Railleuses (storytelling), Respire Betty (Drama) and Barbara, Les plus belles histoires (musical).

On Sunday I finally got out on the bike. I didn't do what I expected to, but I had a fine day (breezy, at times overcast) and several kind folks along the route to help with directions. I went to see the Pont du Gard which is the Roman aqueduct triple decker affair over the Gard River. Only when I got out there did I realize that I had to take a very circuitous route to avoid the main road which is a four lane highway. So I meandered thru Rochfort du Gard, Domazon, Theziers, Fournes, St. Hilaire, Castillion du Gard, Vers-Pont du Gard (that was a mistake) Remoulins (this is where the bridge is located) Collias, Cabrieres, St. Gervasy, Marguerittes and finally Nimes where I got on the train and went back to Avignon. Pont du Gard is so huge in person! I walked on the bridge briefly and observed the locals who were kyaking, swimming, hanging out in the park or eating in a fabulous outdoor restaurant (I had eaten earlier and it was terrible), and I took a nap under a tree for half an hour. I had to cross a mini mountain with a 15 percent grade for 4 km. It sounds like a pain but for some reason it was really cool. I was very glad to pull into that train station at 4.30. This ride totalled 77km/48 miles. I will plan future rides to be shorter!

Today the course started and it couldn't be better. The woman leading our group of four in "Le langage a travers le festival" is an actress in her mid-forties. Very expressive and kind. Today she expained the history and politics of the festival--- cleared up a lot of mysteries for me. She also invited two young women who are in an OFF play to talk about thier experience. More on this at another time. Tomorrow we start the readings. No other anglophones in the course and all have pretty good french skills.

Lunch today was late. I was about to faint waiting for it to be served. The prof recommended a place outside the Palais des Papes and I had one of the specials. Started with mousse de courgette (zucchini) with raw salmon bits on top, then had the rouleau de volaille (chicken breast rolled around proscuitto and just a bit of cheese in a stunning sauce) next to a pile of well - dressed greens. I expected the chicken to be dry--- it was NOT. The dessert was fresh cheese (no translation) served with chopped chives that you toss on yourself. The price for this marvel was exactly 20E. I am learning not to order the bottled water. Just so you don't think I am living too large here, I eat omlettes and sardines back in the apartment most of the time.

Thanks for your e-mails!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Visit Roussillon, the "Village in the Vaucluse." Also the Roman Theatre in Orange.