Friday, July 13, 2007

News from Avignon & the festival

First thing is, it's really cooool here, I mean it seems to go down to about 55 degrees at night. People are wearing long pants and sweaters!

I just finished the first week of the course. The wonderful actress who started us off was only with us three days-- her name is Catherine Alias and she has a theatre company called 'Attore Actor Acteur' as her specialty is working with authors from Spain as well as France. She also speaks Spanish. I told her all about Theatre du Reve and she was very interested--- more on that when I get back. Our new prof is not in theater, he is just a big fan and very knowledgeable (sp?) about history, shows, people etc. Every day we do an hour on history, an hour of reading out loud, taking parts, some diction excercises and we are preparing Moliere's L'Avare (the Miser) in an abbreviated form that the prof developed himself, which they will perform without yours truly as I did not sign up for the last week of the month. It's fine, but Catherine was lots more fun and knows all the inside stuff on the festival, etc. as she has worked in & around it since 1990.

Plays I've seen: The Unbelievable Voyage of Pytheas (story telling); Le Voyage de Capucine (story telling); conference & reading on the book 'In the skin of the Actor' which has just come out in French; Le Medicin Malgre Lui, a musical version that was an absolute SCREAM; Fluide, a dance performance from South Korea; and finally Antigone (there are 3 versions of A in this festival!) which was the only show I've seen so far that I did not like-- Creon was wearing platform boots, a full-length black leather coat and he was sporting an Al Sharpton hairdo. I didn't mind his appearance, he was just not a good actor! Must be somebody's brother-in-law! By the way, I won't go into great detail here on this subject, but if one has the money, one can pretty much buy a spot in this festival. The price of a time slot varies between 3 and 7,000 Euros. Most of the actors in OFF are working every day for 3 weeks in the show and out in the streets, generating publicity by talking to people, performing and handing out cards. A lot of them are not paid. All this in the hope that the show will be picked up by organizers of other summer festivals, big theaters, etc. It's a market.

I have been eating very well and cheaply by picking up delightful prepared meals from the Traiteur (like a three star deli) in the market early in the morning and reheating it at lunch time. Today I had a wonderful piece of firm white fish like cod but better and a big slice of braised fennel with mirepoix. The day before I had what I guess you could call lamb's trotters, that is to say--- feet. It is a dish from Marseille called Pieds and Pacquets--- there are also little stuffed packages that go along with it.

I've about had it with this keyboard so I zill sign off for noz! thanks for the messages and e-mail!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have you seen the Tour de France? I played Haemon to Mike Rothhaar's Creon in High School. No platform shoes, though they were in style in 1971 as well as 401 B.C. The ancient Greeks called them "cothurni."

Katherine said...

alydar, I don't recognize you.