Friday, July 27, 2007

On Wednesday I saw another commedia dell' arte romp: The Enchanted Flute by the troupe Comediens & Compagnie from Paris. They used masks on all the players, there was some pretty fabulous opera singing and the jokester, or sidekick to the main male role stole the show-- Pappageno was his name and I have never seen a human being move and jump around like that for an hour and a half!!!! Loved it! www.comediensetcompagie.info

This evening I went to an 'IN' show called Nine Fingers. I thought it looked like trouble, but I got the ticket free so--- My worst fears were realized. A guy hitting a dirty matress with a microphone. I had to cover my ears. Not my thing. Some people gave them a standing ovation--- I would have loved to talk to these people & find out what I missed!

Yesterday I put my bike on the intercity bus and went south to Aix en Provence for the day. I rode right through town down the Cours Mirabeau (which is nothing like Champs Elysees as I'd thought from reading MFK Fisher's description of it!!) & came out on the east side of town. Six kilometers later I was looking the Mount St. Victoire, which Cezanne painted many times. I had lunch in the Relais Cezanne and then took a nap under this big line of plane trees next to a field. Refreshed, I went back and explored town for two hours and then proceeded to find a shady cafe to wait for the bus back to Avignon. Aix is bigger, brighter and more southern looking than Avignon.

I've been very fortunate with the weather since I got here--- it has been cool and pleasant especially in the evenings. That's over-- it's hot here now and it makes me tired.

One word about the people and I will close. All month long I have encountered relaxed, friendly, warm people here, even in the stores and banks. People start conversations with you waiting in line, on a bus, in the market. Is it the south? A younger generation that is more relaxed and open than the French we met in th 70's? I don't know --- maybe this will change when I get toParis!

Ciao--- this is almost the end!

No comments: