Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I never want to leave!

Some impressions---

This city is loaded, I mean LOADED with charm. It is compact with lots of narrow streets, many of which have been transformed permanently into pedestrian streets. In many of the not-quite so narrow streets there are lots of very old, tall and leafy plane trees-- the ones with the green spotted bark. At every turn there seems to be tables outside shaded by trees or large umbrellas--- and people eating, drinking and lounging outside.

So far the weather has been ideal--- cool breezy and sunny.

I am so glad I came a week early to get situated and oriented before 250,000 visitors arrive----is that possible????

My bike arrived today qnd will be fixed by tomorrow afternoon. Charlie; you were absolutely right, they will just rebuild the back wheel. They didn't bat an eye about it.

There is an indoor market place right around the corner (I bet it's indoors because we are in the south) with a startling display of charcuterie, cheeses vegetqbles etc. Today I got those skinny french green beans, a fresh tomato, a tranche of pate and some salade de museau (sliced head cheese in a dressing) and that was lunch::: The beans were so good, they squeaked when I bit into them. Yes, I had bread with the pate--- mea culpa! Tonight I am going out for oysters with the landlord!

The plays are at most 1 1/2 hours long. I will see my first on Friday night. I guess they can run more that way: Every day there are more posters up!!! I am constantly distracted by them when I'm walking around--- maybe I shouldn*t use that term--- there is so much to look at and take pleasure in. It seems that every where I look there is something beautiful or interesting:::: really nice. Must go now. Send comments or Q to my regular e-mail address which I can't post here.

No comments: